Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Sign Post Interview

Heather at The Sign Post has agreed to an Interview...


1) How did you come up with the name to your shop?

  My partner came up with the name to my shop, she is such a creative for sure.

2) What was the first thing that you created & sold that made you think- Wow- I CAN do this?
  The first sign I sold was "Well behaved woman rarely make history". Although, it took a little while to sell my first sign it made my heart just fill with joy and I thought, maybe I can do this? I am still in the midst of working on different sayings so stay tuned, more will be following within the next few months.
3) Who or What started you on this path?
  My partner started me on this path. I previously was selling Adirondack coat racks, calender holders, picture frames made out of cedar wood, but unless I traveled to the Old Forge, Inlet area, sales were not good elsewhere. Guess everyone doesn't like the Adirondack taste as we do :) My partner saw a really neat sign that she liked and set me on my way. Quite a few other vendors rub the edges whereas I actually sand down the edges.

4)What is the Favorite tool of your trade and why?

  My stencil brush is my favorite tool of the trade. Although it is a very time consuming project as there are several layers of very thin paint on each letter, this is my passion for sure. Once you see the sign complete it's just an awesome feeling for sure.

5) What is your best advice or tip to give another vendor?

  The best advice I could give to another vendor is never give up, keep on trying and doing what you love. Keep on tweeking your pictures, policies, etc. Patience is definitely a virtue for sure. I'm sure that my shop could use an overhaul as well but I'm happy with how it looks and this is all that matters :)
6) Are you doing any craft shows this year? Where can others find you?

 I do quite a few craft shows throughout the summer/fall months, this is where most of my sales come from. I do shows in Old Forge, Inlet and Syracuse primarily.

7) What is your favorite item in your shop and why?
The favorite sign from my shop would be "Be Who You Are" by Dr. Seuss.

be-who-you-are-and-say-what-you-feel

This sign in particular has so much meaning to me. I am so happy when I sell this sign to a younger person, maybe they will look at this and remember just what it says "Be who you are". There are so many people in this world today that judge others as how they feel someone should be, how someone should live, etc. which I feel is absolutely shameful to say the least. If only everyone in this world was kind and respectful to other another what a wonderful world we would live in.

***Here are a couple things that I like in her shop:
 
 dogs-have-owners-cats-have-staff-funny
Basically because I have both and it is too true!!


wisdom-is-the-highest-form-of-kindness
Because I really believe it.

8) Please tell us your links (ie facebook/twitter/web site etc)

 I have a Facebook account and my username is Heather Freeland.

Thank You Heather... Good luck! (Please follow her!)

later, L

1 comment:

  1. Hi Linda,

    Thank you so very much for the blog, I truly do appreciate this so much indeed! I'm glad that you like some of the signs :) Most of the signs I try to make have a lot of meaning and the way I feel. Of course though, I had to add a few funny signs as well :) My dog and cat inspired me to make the sign Dogs have owners cats have staff, so very true indeed.

    Again, thank you so much! Take care. Heather.

    ReplyDelete