Monday, September 24, 2012

The Interviews are Beginning

The Interviews are beginning...

Up first is Jaie Johnson and her shop - dirtygirldesigns Here are her answers...

1) How did you come up with the name to your shop?
Well, I'm a "dirty girl", so it seemed fitting. Some of my items can be pretty naughty, and I'm very counter culture. I do have lots of items for people who aren't into that sort of thing, but really I love being risque, and that is slowly expanding. I do keep the more "naughty" stuff in its own category so that if people don't want to see it, they don't have to.

2) What was the first thing that you created & sold that made you think- Wow- I CAN do this?

Well, my background is actually in historical sewing and I used to do commissions, but I decided that on Etsy, it was just too tough. One day, I started fooling with shrink plastic and decided it was a medium I really enjoyed. A few people I know are allergic to metal, but love rings, so I began making the plastic rings, my very first one was snatched up at a show and I've been evolving with them ever since.


3) Who or What started you on this path?
My grandfather was THE biggest auctioneer in the CNY area and he was in fact known all over the US and Canada. My step father was the only person who came second to him, so all I've ever known was auctions, antiques, but mostly how to hustle. It's a bit of a hard word, but to me it fits perfectly what I now do on Etsy. Granddad did antiques, I do stuff I make.

4)What is the Favorite tool of your trade and why?

My brain. Seriously. Sometimes the stuff I come up with just sitting here amuses me.

5) What is your best advice or tip to give another vendor?
Patience. None of this happens overnight. Not building stock, not getting orders. I had to revamp and restyle my Etsy store entirely this past May, and I'm still working on it.

6) Are you doing any craft shows this year? Where can others find you?

I don't do physical craft shows. I don't drive for one, and my old crafting partner retired last year. Plus, where I live, we just don't have a ton of craft shows. If I can find a new partner in crime, I'll start doing shows again.

7) What is your favorite item in your shop and why?
Right now, its my shrink plastic buttons. You wouldn't think shrink plastic lends itself to fancy buttons, but it does. I've seen adorable cut out buttons in the shapes of flowers and animals, and don't get me wrong, they're adorable, and I plan on doing them.
But I discovered a method for making some seriously color intense, super high gloss buttons that make a very high end custom button.
So far, I've made what I call "portrait buttons" featuring Marie Antoinette and Elizabeth Tudor and people love them. But for me, it is all about my Russian Inspired buttons. The colors are so intense, and I love nearly anything Russian.


www.etsy.com/listing/104588372/russian-inspired-shrink-plastic-buttons


** I also checked out her shop and here are some of my faves there:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/71934089/lovely-hand-cast-all-metal-fairy-fridge

And: 

 http://www.etsy.com/listing/100409541/mccalls-3686-1956-misses-dress-size-14

 8) Please tell us your links (ie facebook/twitter/web site etc).
www.dirtygirldesigns.net
facebook.com/dirtygirldesigns
dirtygirldesigns.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/Jaie_Johnson

Thanks Jaie for a great interview... Now everyone-- please go check out her shop and add it to your favorites and like her fb page-- etc.. We can all use followers!

later, Linda (TheHomespunLoft).

2 comments:

  1. Great interview! I really enjoyed getting to know Jaie a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much fo the interview, it was a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete