Saturday, March 30, 2013

Dew on a Petal Interview



Our next Interview is with Dew on a Petal..

1) How did you come up with the name to your shop?

 It was a name I came up with many years ago. I tossed around a few ideas and this just sounded not too restrictive yet friendly

2) What was the first thing that you created & sold that made you think- Wow- I CAN do this?

 I started out making jewelry. I took classes at the pca.pittsburgharts.org/ in lampwork beadmaking and jewelry construction back in the 80s. I moved on to fiber jewelry because I have been a crocheter all my life. I have many skills such as machine knitting, crochet, embroidery and sewing, but have little time for that now.
3) Who or What started you on this path?

Honestly? Money. I wanted to find something I enjoyed doing while making a profit doing it. I had just put 2 girls through private college (including Juilliard) with no help from their father and was desperate when it came time to start repaying. I was living in Manhattan which as you may know, has almost no middle class. I was still working fulltime making enough to pay the rent and bills but little else. I opened up an Etsy account to sell jewelry but decided that it was too competitive. I had put all my candle supplies in storage (a former hobby) but I decided to take then out of storage to make candles as gifts for my co-workers. At that time I discovered soy wax and experimented with it and fell in love with it. Shortly after that, I received my first wedding order and the rest is history. I now do custom color matching which I think is unique to the industry.
4)What is the Favorite tool of your trade and why?

I have tons of molds and love experimenting with the qualities of each one. I have also expanded to include other fragrance products such as diffusers, soap and sachets. I developed a recently candle with a tea light insert to create a ForeverCandle.
4) What is your best advice or tip to give another vendor?

Always be open to change. Make what sells. Find your niche. I started out with jewelry, moved on to crochet jewelry and stickpins, then on to home goods, then to candles. I have found my niche in wedding and custom candles. If my customer has an idea, I will do my best to create it for them. In 6 years I have perfected the art of making candles.
5) Are you doing any craft shows this year? or are you selling in any co-ops or shops?

I do very few shows now and keep them closer to home. I love meeting customers face to face when I can. I always do the Indie Garage Sale in Utica a few times a year, Whitney Point Fall Festival, Skaneateles and a few others. My candles are in a few shops now, including The Barstow House and a shop in LA. Most of my business is now wholesale and making blanks for PersonalizedCandles www.etsy.com/shop/PersonalizedCandles

6) Pease Pick the fave thing in your shop.. and provide the link to it.. and tell why you like it best.

Soy pillar candle set of 4 with tea light inserts 4" diameter ForeverCandle.  I like it because it’s a unique product.



7) This os one of the things I like in her shop:
 
Fireplace Soy Candle, Travel Tin, Wood Fireplace, Winter Fire $8.00




8) Please provide your links
www.DewOnAPetal.com
. www.facebook.com/DewOnAPetal
twitter.com/dewonapetal

Thanks Marty.. good interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment